Lucifer's Redemption

Every now and then I think about Brett Dean McGibbon.  Brett is a self-published author who binds his books in leather and sells them on a street corner in Seattle, Washington. 


I was walking the streets of Seattle camera in hand. Click, click, click. I noticed a small restaurant that I liked, click, and then crossed the street. As I walked by, a guy at a table handed me a piece of paper. I usually try real hard to ignore these things as it seems everyone wants something; a dime, a quarter, a dollar; some thing. You can only give so much, you know? I took the piece of paper and looked at it. Words. I started reading them out loud. "..men and women who were raging with life, who looked within and wrestled with their beasts, who were engaged in mortal combat with what mattered and were not gonna let what mattered escape." I liked the words. I was attracted to the words. The guy drew my attention off the paper and pointed out that he was selling books and signing them (he was an author). I looked at him for the first time. I became conscious of this - I was so fascinated by the words that I never looked at him. I picked up a copy of the book, Lucifer's Redemption,  and started reading the Preface. He encouraged me on. After the Preface, the Introduction. I was hooked. I was also attracted to the physical form of the book. Apparently he prints the pages himself on a laser printer (that is explained by a character in the book). The pages are then hand bound in leather with (Irish-linen twine). It had a nice feel. I liked the font. Like an old fashioned typewriter. I liked the book. The sign said twenty bucks so I gave him twenty bucks. I wanted it. I asked him if I could photograph him. That night I read half the book in my hotel room. It hit, drew me in. Made me think. Made me ponder. Made me reflect. At times I identified with the main character, James. We share similar attitudes about some important things. I finished the book off in Seattle Tacoma International the following day. Toward the end I almost felt that it was written about me - the inner thoughts. Then I decided anyone who reads it probably feels that way. It stuck with me. It stuck in my mind for two days. It also occurred to me that I have not read a book in years. This was the first in years. And it somehow seemed that I was fated to read this book.



If you are ever in Seattle you might run into Brett.  I have talked to people who say he is still there.  I see a used copy of Lucifer's Redemption going for $70 on Amazon.  Not only a good read but a collector's item as well as each copy is unique.

Visit our Table of Contents to view more interesting articles

5 comments:

Linda said...

I loved watching him binding his own books. Wonder where his natal Lucifer (or shall I say, Bearer of Light) might be?

Cat said...

Well, I always hope to run into him again "next time I am Seattle." If I do, I will ask him for his birth data so we can find out :-)

I actually wrote this in 2007. I hear he is still out there. I have actually talked to other people who have run into him :-)

Lucifer again and again :-)

Unknown said...

This book isn't even about me...

Anonymous said...

He is a hack and a conman. A narcissist that has learned to mimic emotions of human beings and preys upon people's kindness. He is nothing like he portrays himself. He is full of himself. He will tell you
he's is the world's greatest living author. He's a deadbeat, jobless, mooch, an abuser and a phony. You can still find this bum on the street in Key West,FL. He is evil. Stay far away from him.

Anonymous said...

I doubt the authenticity of this post. He is so far up his own @$$ that he probably wrote this himself.