A Memo for CEE

I've never been one for reading poetry, though I've written some.  Patti Smith, Jim Morrison and Dylan are about it for me.  Then Warren decided it was time to go and passed on.  About the same time a package of poetry arrived in the mailbox - Warren's mailbox.

I looked it over and read the letter.  Hmmmm.  I saw more like this on the bookshelf behind Warren's desk.  Yes.  Let me look.  Bingo.  More letters and poetry by CEE.

I was attracted to it.  I told the others that we have to find out who this CEE is and let him or her know that Warren moved on.  Everyone said, "I'll do it."

I scoured the internet trying to find an email address for CEE.  No luck.  I had left the envelop and poetry with Warren's heir.  There was a return address.  I did not have it, but I knew it existed.  If I had it, I would have mailed a letter.

Six months later, another envelop with a book of poems arrived in the mail.  It was addressed to "The Mysterious M" c/o Warren.  Reading the letter I realized that CEE had received a letter from Warren's heir, "The Mysterious M."  I asked her about it and she said she wrote to him one night in March.  She informed him of Warren's passing.  She said, "I think I wrote 'To Whom it May Concern...'"

Reading the letter, I learned that CEE scoured the internet looking for an obituary or something to confirm the sad news.  He wanted to know more, like when?  Cee, it was New Year's Eve.  Warren never showed up to the party.  The next day "The Mysterious M" went to his house as he was not answering the phone.  And, ok, you know....

"The Mysterious M" and Warren were very close.  She was distraught.  That is why it took her almost three months to contact you.  She never got to the part about doing an obituary.  That is how Warren evaded the internet.

"The Mysterious M" will write to you again.  She has your letter and the book you sent.  You are right, she is not that other woman with a name beginning with "M" - the one whose handwriting you compared hers to.  You never met this "Mysterious M."  And I assure you, I am not she.  She does not do the internet and doesn't bother with computers, cell phones and such.

I enjoyed Onderdonkey.  It inspired me to find where we put your older works and re-read them this rainy night.

Anyone interested?

Poet Hound: Still Life Is A Human by CEE

Poetry by CEE



Bless Capt Warren Stickey!!!

2 comments:

Amos Anon said...

...I feel like I am chasing a masked rabbit into a labyrinthine search engine burrow...

Who is this CEE?

Anonymous said...

CEE is someone who wrote a letter to "The Mysterious M."

A poet. That is all we really know.