Nebuchadnezzar II and Saddam

I have an interest in reincarnation so I often browse the internet reading reincarnation case studies.  Today I stumbled upon an article reporting that Saddam Hussein sincerely believed that he was the reincarnation of Nebuchadnezzar II.  Normally I would have bypassed this as I have little interest in Saddam Hussein and know next to nothing about Nebuchadnezzar II.

Years ago I bought one of Dick Sutphen's astral projection hypnosis tapes.  Every time I listened to it, I fell asleep.  There was one time, however, when Sutphen commanded me to wake back up, that I was left with a vision of a man in a white robe and I heard the name "Nebuchadnezzar."  Was the man in the robe Nebuchadnezzar?  Who knows.  I told a friend, who told a friend, who said he was some guy in the Bible.   I looked in the Bible and found this name in the Book of Daniel.  That was the extent of my research.

Reading that Saddam Hussein believed he was a reincarnation of Nebuchadnezzar II brought memories of this experience back into my consciousness and peaked my interest a bit.

Nebuchadnezzar II was "the greatest king of ancient Babylon" according to the Ancient History Encyclopedia.  He ruled Babylon from 634 BCE to 562 BCE.  Babylon become the most powerful city state in the region under this warrior king.  In the Bible he is said to be portrayed as an enemy of God.

Like many ancient kings, it seems that Nebuchadnezzar was bent on conquest and attaining power.  What is more interesting, at least to me, is that he hoped to make the city of Babylon one of the wonders of the world.  Today, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

According to the Ancient History Encyclopedia, Surviving an apparent seven-year bout with insanity (the cause of which is still not known today) Nebuchadnezzar II created a city which was not only wonderous to behold but also a center for the arts and intellectual pursuits. Women enjoyed equal rights with men under Nebuchadnezzar’s rule (though, certainly, not completely equal in status nor opportunity by any modern-day standard) schools and temples were plentiful and literacy, mathematics and craftsmanship flourished along with a tolerance of, and interest in, other gods of other faiths. The great king died, as he had hoped, in the magnificent city he had built, an old man."

Back to Saddam.  According to investigative mythologist William Henry, Saddam believed himself to be the literal reincarnation of Nebuchadnezzar II.  "It is well known that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has connected himself with Nebuchadnezzar, spending over $500 million during the 1980's on the reconstruction and the re-establishment of ancient Babylon, the capitol of Nebuchadnezzar. Over sixty million bricks have been made to place in the walls of Babylon, each engraved with the inscription 'To King Nebuchadnezzar in the reign of Saddam Hussein.'" - William Henry.

Was Saddam once Nebuchadnezzar or was he delusional?  I don't know.

No comments: