I Never Met an Asteroid I Didn't Like



"I Never Met an Asteroid I Didn’t Like"
An Interview with Kim Falconer

Kim Falconer is an astrologer and a writer who was born in Santa Cruz, CA and now lives on the far east coast of Australia. Kim was introduced to astrology at an early age and has three decades of astrological experience . Kim has studied the works of such eminent teachers as Joanne Wickenburg, Dennis Elwell, Isabel Hickey, Howard Sasportas, Liz Greene and Richard Idemon.  Kim is the author of Asteroid 433 Eros: The Astrology of Love and Astrology & Aptitude: How to Become What You Were Meant to Be and of Vital Signs: The Astrology of Well Being. Kim writes for a number of astrology magazines including Dell Horoscope and The Mountain Astrologer.

AstrologyPowerZone:  In your biography, you state that your father inspired your interest in
the occult. You go on to say that he used horoscopes in conjunction with financial adventures. You, on the other hand, choose a totally different astrological path, one that incorporates ancient wisdom and mythology with psychological theories, art and poetry. Where did this influence come from and how were you able to blend it with what you learned from your father?


Kim:  Where did it come from? Art history class, for a start. I was enamored with my high school art teacher, and inspired by the rich and vivid myths that went with classical paintings, sculptures and crockery. I was seventeen at the time, the same year my father signed me up for my first formal astrology course. It was taught by a mystical woman, Lois Goff, and although she was strictly traditional, she transmitted a lot of magic and sense of the inner world.

Also, my mother is a poetess. Over the years she has exposed me to the world of prose and poetry in delightful ways. She’d never admit it, but Mom links symbolic meaning to everything quite naturally, especially word meanings. From her example, I made it a habit early on to link words and phrases with astrological symbols. For instance, take Keats: "Virgin choir to make delicious moan/upon the midnight hours." Right away, I think of a culminating Moon in Virgo! Or, Voltaire, "Once people begin to reason, all is lost." What else but Mercury/Neptune? Or my mother's, "The persevering sea harbors all things/Cast adrift in her wardrobe of shadows;" Sounds like Saturn in the 12th house to me! Attention to WORDS would definitely be my mother's influence!

I clearly recall the event that brought me to incorporate depth psychology into my astrological approach. After I spent 7 years in diligent traditional astrological study, my father gave me a set of
tapes from the 1980 Saturn/Jupiter conjunction conference in California. I listened in awe to Liz Greene speak about Neptune and the therapeutic process. Something went "click" in my mind and I never looked back. That’s when I started reading everything of hers, and others like Idemon
and Sasportas and Jim Lewis.

My father and I would debate the nature of outer planet transits, progression, nodes etc for hours. That really helped me, even if we didn’t come to an agreement (which was often). Defending a position requires you to be very clear and articulate, at least if you want to present a successful defense!

AstrologyPowerZone: Much of the material on your website and in your articles focuses on
Asteroid 433 Eros. What is it that attracts you to this asteroid? Why have you choosen to research it so deeply?


Kim: Why Eros? I have to chuckle at this now. It all started out as a mistake! (if there are such things).

I was looking for a copy of the myth of Psyche and Eros, flipping around in search engines on the internet. I knew, vaguely, that there were asteroids out there and did use (minimally) Ceres, Juno, Vesta and Pallas, but they were not my focus. I just wanted to read a good translation of the Myth.

But, by some weird “accident” I printed out not a copy of the myth but a NASA site I didn’t even know the browser was open to. It was all about sending a NEAR satellite to 433 Eros. What? I was stunned. Knowing the synchronistic nature between the discovery or focus on a planet and the
awakening in the collective of what that planet represents, I dove in! That was eight years ago, and my interest in all minor planets has increased rapidly ever since.

AstrologyPowerZone: In your biography you mention that you are currently investigating
asteroids, and other special points in the horoscope, following their relevance to health and relationships. Can you elaborate on this a bit?


Kim: I see the asteroids as the “fine tuning” dial on a TV. The major planets  give you the “big picture” and the minor ones sharpen it, honing in on subtleties that might otherwise be missed. In relationships of all kinds, business, friendship, family, lovers, the synastry contacts might include asteroids, connecting two (or more) people in ways the major planets may not describe. The same goes for composite charts.

As far as health is concerned, I associate vitality with being able to express authentically. The finer the detailed understanding of that authentic SELF, the stronger, fitter and more vibrant we become. In this context, the repression or degrading of energy (represented in the chart as unexpressed planets and points in the various signs) finds its only outlet through the body as dis-ease.

A simplistic example would be someone with natal asteroid Psyche on the Ascendant in Aries who was, for what ever reason, unable to push out adventurously into the world, be immediate in action and assertive in nature, especially when it came to connecting with others on a deeper level, might experience migraine head aches. Again, the energy has to go somewhere and if can’t find a creative rout, there is always the body. (Aries rules the head)

AstrologyPowerZone: Have you found anything that interests you as much as Asteroid 433 Eros
does?


Kim: I never met an asteroid I didn’t like, although 433 Eros is my “first love” when it comes to the minor planets. I find others fascinating and insightful, particularly the planet crossers (those orbiting between Venus and Mars), the Centaurs, (those orbiting between Jupiter and Neptune)and of course the “main” asteroids in the belt between Mars and Jupiter. The discovery of the Kuiper Belt, beyond the orbit of Pluto is going to bring a new twist to Astrology, especially with the discovery
of Quaoar.

I must say I am exceptionally interested at the moment in asteroid 3753 Cruithne (pronounced 'croo-een-ya'). It has a “companion” like orbit to earth which actually moves in a horseshoe pattern. Although it orbits the Sun in almost exactly the same time period as the earth, because of the eccentricities, it can go many years without transiting certain signs!

AstrologyPowerZone: You have a background in health and have worked as a medical assistant,
animal health technician and board certified lactation consultant for twenty years. You also hold diplomas in herbal medicine, nutrition, zoology and literature. With such a background, I assume you have some interest in medical astrology? If so, can you talk a little bit about how mythological symbolism can be used in regard to health?


Kim: Myths are metaphors for life. They tell a story that somehow evokes a deeper feeling or movement of the psyche, resonating with our unconscious like a painting, poem, musical piece or dance.

In regards to health, I think they can help us understand what might be “wrong” (undervalued, repressed, unnourished) with us on an inner level.

Each myth portrays an aspect of soul nature, searching, striving, struggling or being forced to express. If we can understand more of what is waking up in our unconscious, we can honor and support it. The more we “do” who we are striving to becoming, the healthier we feel, simple
as that!

____________________________________________________________________________

The above is an interview with Kim Falconer which appeared on one of my many websites in the past (Astrology Power Zone).  The site is history but I still find my interview with Kim interesting so I decided to post it here.  Kim has evolved.  She is still practicing astrology but is now a successful novelist as well. 

The Novels:  Quantum EnchantmentPath of the Stray, Road to the Soul and Journey by Night




No comments: